Eco-friendly and reusable cloth diapers are the best eco-friendly alternative to disposable diapers. We explain why use eco friendly cloth diapers, how to use them and why you need to buy
*I was intimidated when I started learning to use eco-friendly cloth diapers, but after a few weeks I consider myself a professional.
* There are several types of eco friendly cloth diapers to choose from, the big advantage is that they all work quite similarly. In particular, I prefer pocket diapers because they are the perfect combination between easy use and an affordable price.
Learning how to wash cloth diapers is essential to succeed with these eco friendly diapers. Read more on how to wear and wash diapers below.
* Buy your eco-friendly cloth diapers and notice the difference.Raul Ibert
Every time someone tells me that I am a little crazy or that I am very brave to wear cloth diapers with my daughter María, my answer is that it is not so bad. Because to be honest, it is not. Yes, there was a learning curve in the beginning, but once we solved the problems, it has been fairly straightforward and most likely one of the best decisions I have ever made. We estimate that approximately we have saved more than 1,200 euros and María is only 15 months old. Watching her run around in her cute, soft, padded eco-friendly cloth diapers is the cutest thing in the world.
The first thing we choose is the pampers we want to use. How to use and how to put cloth diapers eco to our girl was easier than we expected. Fortunately, eco friendly diapers have come a long way from what my mother put me in the 1980s. If you are just starting this journey, welcome to the world of change. Todoecofriendly.es where buying eco friendly cloth diapers is a great experience.
What ecological diapers are better and how are they used
On the market are pocket, diaper, hybrid, flat and fitted diapers. The waisted ones are similar to the pleated flats, but the absorbent fabric layer has snaps and a shape that easily adapts to your baby.
Hybrid diapers are highly water resistant and you can even put them on your baby when it’s pool time. Eco-friendly pocket diapers require a little more preparation in advance, but are quicker and easier to put on during the actual diaper change. And so as not to linger too much at dusk there are the night diapers that are very fluffy.
Personally, the ones I like the most to use with Maria are pocket diapers because they are a bit easier to use than hybrids, planes and fitted ones. Apart from that they are cheaper than the others and have all-in-one features.
Using these eco-friendly cloth diapers is extremely easy
- I place the waterproof cover over the diaper fabric and wrap the diaper snugly around my baby.
- If the diaper gets wet, just replace the fabric and reuse the cover.
- If the diaper is already dirty you just have to change the cover. For this type, you will have inserts typically made of microfiber or bamboo that fit in a waterproof diaper.
Tip: Pocket diapers cannot be reused as the diaper itself touches baby’s skin, so you will need to wash the entire diaper looking for wet and dirty diapers.
How cloth diapers work and how they fit
Finding the right place for your baby will require some trial and error and will obviously change as your baby grows.
First, you have to adjust the “height” of the snaps if your baby is small. These are the snaps on the front of the diaper. Fit the top rise row down, then push the fabric down. As your baby grows, we will have to fasten the diaper by adjusting the snaps on the diaper.
Adjust the leg and waist straps in a comfortable position making sure it is not too tight and comfortable for your baby.
How to wash eco friendly cloth diapers
Washing eco-friendly cloth diapers requires a bit of trial and error, and can vary depending on how many diapers you’re washing, what type of washer you have, what type of detergent you use, and other factors. These are general guidelines that will give you a good starting point:
- When you remove the cloth diapers, set them aside and put them in a wet bag.
- Wash the diapers every one to three days.
- For exclusively breastfed babies, there is no need to rinse dirty diapers.
- For formula-fed babies or those who eat solids, dirty diapers should be sprayed with baking soda before washing. You can also use coatings to get rid of poop.
- Wash the diapers in a prewash or light setting with a small amount of detergent. If you wonder about what detergent to wash cloth diapers, the recommendation is to use the same that you use with your usual clothes.
- Wash diapers again in a normal, regular, or heavy setting with the total amount of detergent recommended for the size of the load.
- Dry the diapers in your dryer or hang them to dry. If hanging to dry, hang diapers on the side to put less pressure on elastic.
Bonus for new families
Cloth diapers are good, it may be easier to wait until your baby is a few weeks old to start wearing clothes – they will be a little bigger and she will get used to her new routine.
It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. We still wear disposable diapers at night and every time we go somewhere, which is much more convenient.
At first, buy just a few of the types you think you will like so you don’t spend a fortune on a diaper type you don’t like. Once you know what cloth diapers to buy or what you want to wear, you can buy more. Between 24 and 36 diapers is a good amount for most people.
Put diapers in the sun to fade stains.
Change cloth diapers at least every two hours to prevent leaks